Start your day with a delicious smoothie bowl topped with bone-building fruits and seeds. Hemp seeds contain high amounts of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that fight inflammation and support bone health. Almonds contain bone-building calcium, magnesium, and protein. Pumpkin seeds are a good source of bone-building vitamin K and minerals, including phosphorus, magnesium, iron, copper, and zinc (zinc deficiency can lead to osteoporosis).
Coconut is high in manganese, a mineral cofactor in many enzyme reactions involved in, and necessary for, bone formation. Bananas contain potassium, which can help prevent calcium loss from bone and improve bone mineral density. Blackberries contain vitamin K, essential for bone health. Blueberries are packed with polyphenols that stimulate formation of osteoblasts (bone-building cells). Enjoy all of these bone-friendly ingredients in one delicious bowl!
Ingredients (all organic/biodynamic)
1/3 c. hemp seeds
1/3 c. almonds
1/3 c. pumpkin seeds
½ c. shredded coconut
2 ripe bananas
½ c. fresh blackberries, plus extras for topping
½ c. frozen blueberries, plus extras for topping
½ c. coconut yogurt
½ c. unsweetened organic almond milk
1 c. ice cubes
- Combine the hemp, almond, and pumpkin seeds together, and spread out in a glass baking dish or on a parchment-covered baking sheet. Toast the seed mixture in the oven (with no added oils) at 350°F for 3-5 minutes.
- In a separate glass dish or parchment-covered baking dish, toast the shredded coconut in the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove nuts and coconut from the oven when toasted and allow to cool.
- While cooling, coarsely chop 1½ bananas and place them in the blender. Thinly slice the other ½ banana and keep to the side to use later as a topping.
- Add ½ c. blackberries, blueberries, coconut yogurt, almond milk, and ice into the blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove the smoothie from the blender and divide mixture into two serving bowls.
- Top the smoothie in rows with thinly sliced bananas, toasted seeds, shredded coconut, and remaining blackberries and blueberries.
- Serve and enjoy.