PREP TIME 20 minutes
COOK TIME 1 hour 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME 1 hour 40 minutes
Ingredients (all organic/biodynamic)
- 4 medium beets, trimmed and well-scrubbed (leave peels on)
- 1 c. (5 ounces or 140 grams) sesame seeds
- 1/4 c. (60 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 to 4 Tbsp water
- Optional: Celtic Sea Salt®, to taste
- Optional: Roasted and chopped cashews for topping
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190C).
- Wrap the beets in foil so they are completely enclosed. Place foil pack on a baking sheet and roast for 60 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes, until they can easily be pierced with a fork. Let cool completely.
- While beets are cooking, make the Tahini sauce:
- Toast the sesame seeds in a large pan on medium heat until golden for 3-5 minutes, being careful to not over-toast them. We chose to toast the sesame lightly for milder flavor.
- Add a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt. Transfer the cooled, toasted sesame seeds to a food processor and blend for about 5-8 minutes with 1 teaspoon of water. The key to tahini is to give it time to keep blending. If the food processor is not too powerful, give it an extra 5 minutes or add extra water (1 tsp.) to help the process along.
- Unwrap beets. Wearing gloves, peel or rub off skins (don’t worry–they come of easily). Chop coarsely, and place in a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Add the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and 1/2 tsp salt to the food processor. Process until smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
- Top with roasted cashews and serve with your favorite chopped vegetables or crudites.