Consuming vegetable broth is not only delicious but is also a great way to load yourself with healthy nutrients like vitamins and minerals. It is also an easy way to make sure you get all the benefits of consuming plenty of vegetables while you at the same time stay nourished and hydrated.
According to Nature’s pHarmacy, Dr J recommends starting each meal with something warm, wet and savory such as a good quality vegetable or fish broth. If you have a preference for meat broth this can be consumed but we advise staying away from bone broth as it may contain high concentrations of toxic minerals such as lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and nickel (bone is actually where the body stores these toxic minerals!). The healthiest type of broth to consume is the one you make yourself with the freshest, locally sourced and organic ingredients. Enjoy the homemade vegetable broth recipe below that is both tasty and good for you:
Plant Powered Vegetable Broth Recipe
PREP TIME – 5 minutes COOK TIME – 1 hour TOTAL TIME – 1 hour 5 minutes
- 12 cups / 2 3/4 liters filtered water
- 1 red onion, quartered (with skins)
- 1 garlic bulb, smashed
- 1 chili pepper, roughly chopped (with seeds) – avoid if you have a very sensitive stomach
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger, roughly chopped (with skin)
- 1 cup greens, such as kale or spinach
- 3-4 cup mixed chopped vegetables and peelings, e.g. carrot peelings, red cabbage, fresh mushrooms, leeks and celery
- 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 30 g dried wakame seaweed
- 1 tbsp peppercorns
- 1 – 2 tbsp ground turmeric (use less for a milder taste)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos*
- A bunch of fresh coriander, or other herb of your choice
- Simply add everything to a large pot. Bring to a boil then simmer, with the lid on, for about an hour.
- Once everything has been cooked down, strain the liquid into a large bowl.
- Serve immediately with some fresh herbs, for decoration or cool for later. It also freezes well!
*Coconut Aminos can be salty so adjust the addition of salt ( sea salt) accordingly.