Cold water fish such as salmon are not only delicious but have great nutritional value. Salmon is a great source of protein, it is filled with healthy fats and contains a bunch of essential vitamins and minerals. Very few foods in nature also contain vitamin D. The flesh of fatty fish (such as salmon, tuna, and mackerel) and fish liver oils are among the best sources. The omega 3 combined with fatty acids as well as potassium directly contribute to a healthy heart by lowering cholesterol, reducing artery inflammation and keeping a steady blood pressure.
Salmon is also very easy to prepare and is a dish that the whole family will enjoy. Here is our go-to super-quick weeknight favorite.
Dr. J’s Heart-Healthy Salmon
PREP TIME – 5 minutes COOK TIME – 15 minutes TOTAL TIME – 20
- 1 lb fresh salmon filet (always choose organic, wild-caught and line-caught (if possible)
- 1 tbsp of your choice Mirin or Soy-free Tamari or fruit puree
- 3 cloves organic garlic, minced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat your oven to 400°F. Place a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put the salmon, skin side down, on to the parchment paper. Use a spoon or knife and spread evenly with honey. Sprinkle over the minced garlic. Season to your preference with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake salmon for 7-10 minutes depending on the thickness.
- Turn on the broiler. Broil the salmon for 5-7 minutes or until it reaches desired doneness and a golden surface.
- Remove with a spatula and don’t worry if the skin sticks to the parchment paper. Divide into portions and serve immediately!