Turmeric is a spice that is typically found within Indian and Asian cuisines and cultures. The active component of turmeric, curcumin, is anti-inflammatory in nature and has also been found to improve both mood and memory. This warming and delicious soup will make you feel good both inside and out!
- 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into slices
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 Russet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 c. low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 c. canned diced tomatoes
- 1 c. dry red lentils
- 1 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 c. baby spinach
- 1 large bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Place a large pot over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, potato and spices. Sauté everything in a splash of water for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil before adding the dry lentils and mixing everything well.
- Turn the heat to low, cover the pot and let the soup simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the potatoes are tender, but not overcooked.
- Season with Celtic Sea Salt and pepper, then add the spinach and let simmer for five more minutes.
- Turn off the heat, add the chopped parsley and lemon juice and serve warm.