Let’s appreciate the amazing health benefits of quinoa for a second. Quinoa is actually a seed and is gluten free. An excellent source of plant-based protein, the protein in quinoa contains a wide range of amino acids which is important for muscle development.
Quinoa also boasts a high fiber content, is a good source of antioxidants, iron, folate and magnesium.
Try this delicious quinoa salad to get more of this super seed into your diet:
- 1 c. quinoa (I use a mix of white, red, and black organic quinoa)
- 2 c. water
- 1 tsp garlic finely chopped
- ½ medium red bell pepper
- 1 small yellow heirloom tomato
- 1 small shallot sliced thinly
- ½ medium cucumber (quartered lengthwise and sliced)
- 1 avocado (chopped)
- 2 TBSP white balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 TBSP water
- 2 large roasted red pepper
- 1 tsp of your favorite mustard
- 1 tsp Organic maple syrup (optional )
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Boil quinoa in water for 15 minutes, turn off and cover with lid and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While quinoa is resting, chop up all vegetables.
- Fluff quinoa when cooled and add to a large mixing bowl with all vegetables.
- Blend all dressing ingredients in a mixer.
- Dress salad and enjoy!